Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The David and Michael Show



I was extraordinary lucky this year to obtain tickets to two different performances of this year’s Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert featuring guest artists David Archuleta and Michael York.  The choir was good, so far as that goes, but the highlights of the concert were the performances by David Archuleta and British actor Michael York.  My personal favorite was The Cat and the Mouse Carol, a sweet new song that was sung by David with great tenderness.  (I predict this will become a new Christmas favorite.)

Now, the readers of this blog, particularly the younger ones, will likely readily agree that David Archuleta is a heartthrob – both for girls and for guys.  I have read blogs of some young MoHos, for example, where crushes on this teen idol have been frankly acknowledged.  It’s not difficult to understand why with his boyish good looks and sweet personality:


Both of these were on display at the concert, but I think it could be said that his looks are maturing quite nicely, and that he is becoming even more attractive as he ages (pictured below at the concert).

But what is almost certainly not known by our younger brethren (if they’ve even heard of him) is that Michael York (lead-in picture to post) was, in his day, another heartthrob.  Although I acknowledge that it might be difficult to believe (especially given Michael’s appearance at the concert), in the late 1960’s and throughout the 70’s, he was considered something of a sex symbol.  He was in a number of films during this period.  Here he is in Zeffirelli’s production of Romeo and Juliet as Tibalt:


Later, he appeared in Cabaret with Liza Minnelli and Joel Gray, playing the role of a young gay British student in Germany:


The following year, he played D’Artagnan in The Three Musketeers, opposite Raquel Welch:


And a few years later came his role in Logan’s Run, a B-grade science fiction movie.  Here he is on the cover of an entertainment magazine dating from 1976.


Why am I going on about this?  You guessed it:  because in my adolescent years, I had a crush on him.  So, as I saw him brilliantly perform his dramatic readings at the MoTab concert, I didn’t really picture the 68-year-old man, but rather the Michael York of my young teenage years when I was first awakening to my sexuality and thought he was pretty darn good-looking (or as we would say today, "hot").

4 comments:

  1. AHHH! I'm not alone! I loved him in Romeo (was there a Juliet?) and 3-Musketeers.

    I am so jealous that you got to go twice! Couldn't you have atleast shared? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beck - Somehow I wasn't suprised to receive a comment from you. :) Yes, there was a Juliet, but, well, it's understandable how you might have forgotten. :) So many beautiful actors in that movie! The Italians know how to do things, right? You'd know all about that ...

    Did you ever see Cabaret? Do you remember the scene where Michael's character, Liza Minelli and the rich German dude are all dancing together and it became clear the dude was more interested in Michael than in Liza? That was just about as racy as things got back then in terms of a gay subplot.

    I would have shared, but, well, you know. Actually, we got tickets for Thursday night, so I took the family; but my son didn't arrive home until Friday, and since I also had tickets for Sunday morning, I took him and a couple of his friends. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went too! Friday night. Wonder if I saw you :p

    And wow, I never would have guessed York was attractive--I'm David Archuleta's age. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, paragraph 2 has my name written all over it.

    I've pretty much stalked all the random footage of David Archuleta from this concert that can be found on YouTube. I would post them, but that would be redundant, and in most of them the sound quality is bad. However, the sound quality hasn't stopped me from listening to Gesu Bambino over and over again...

    I could keep going, but I won't. I'll just simply agree that he is increasingly more attractive every year :P

    ReplyDelete